The application portal is now CLOSED!
- A baccalaureate degree in a biological or physical science or in mathematics, computer science or engineering.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.2 (on a scale of 4) or its equivalent from an accredited institution. Click here for assistance converting your GPA.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation. Letters from faculty familiar with the applicant's research accomplishments are of particular value to the evaluation process.
- A personal statement. Click here for more information.
- Applicants who are citizens of countries where English is not the official language (and the Province of Quebec in Canada) are required to submit evidence of English language proficiency by submitting the official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Duolingo. A minimum result of 100 iBT TOEFL, a minimum result of 7.0 on the IELTS or a minimum result of 120 on Duolingo is required for admission to the program. Scores must be less than two years old (24 months) from September 1st. Applicants who have earned a bachelor's degree or a higher degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States are exempt from submitting English language proficiency test results.
- The Program in Microbiology and Immunology (PMI) no longer requires GRE scores.
Please complete and submit the online application, as well as all your supplemental materials by December 1. Applications are reviewed by our Admissions Committee as they become complete (i.e. receipt of all recommendation letters, transcript(s), TOEFL score reports).
Should you have any questions about the application process, please contact our team for assistance at email@example.com.
Selected applicants are invited for an all expense-paid trip to the University of Pittsburgh to be interviewed by members of the training faculty and admission committee. Applicants will also meet with graduate students and have the opportunity to enjoy the city of Pittsburgh.
International applicants outside the US may be interviewed by teleconference.
Our interview weekends for the next admissions cycle have not yet been determined. We expect the selected applicants invited to interview plan for arrival on Thursday and departure on Sunday. There will be only two interview weekends for the Program in Microbiology and Immunology.
Please complete and submit the online application, as well as all your supplemental materials, no later than December 1. Applications are reviewed by our Admissions Committee as they become complete (i.e. receipt of all recommendation letters, transcript(s) and if required, TOEFL score reports).
If you are interested in visiting the University of Pittsburgh outside of the regular Admissions cycle, please contact Candy Kuo or Kristin DiGiacomo to discuss a possible visit.